Toronto, Ontario – Members of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario gathered at Queen’s Park on Tuesday, March 27th, 2018 to taste and vote for their favourite fresh, local Ontario Craft Beers during the 13th annual Ontario Craft Brewers’ Legislative sampling event.
Hosted by Hon. Dave Levac, Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, Ontario MPPs and Queen’s Park staffers were invited to sample a wide selection of craft beers from 32 craft breweries from 26 ridings across the province and cast their votes in favour of the craft beers to be highlighted at the Legislative Assembly for 2018-2019.
“The Speakers Tasting is a highlight on the Queen’s Park annual calendar,” says Speaker Levac. “MPPs and staff enjoy sampling local beer and food and voting for their favourite local, independent craft brewers.”
Voting ballots were given to the guests allowing them to vote for their favourite beers in specific style categories, as below. The winning craft beers of the 13th annual Speaker’s tasting event are:
- Speaker’s Choice: “Pioneer Black Creek Rifleman’s Ration Brown Ale”- All or Nothing Brewhouse, Oakville, ON
- Ale: “Cup & Saucer English Ale”- Manitoulin Brewing Co., Little Current, ON (Manitoulin Island)
- Lager: “Shindig Lager”- Cowbell Brewing Co., Blyth, ON
- Stout & Porter: “LoonSong Oats Stout”- Split Rail Brewing Co., Gore Bay, ON (Manitoulin Island)
- Pilsner: “Switchback Pilsner”- Lake of Bays Brewing Company, Baysville, ON
- Specialty: “Cherry Revue”- Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company, Vankleek Hill, ON
“This event gives our members an opportunity to show their appreciation to the Ontario government for its ongoing support of the craft brewing industry,” says Scott Simmons, President, Ontario Craft Brewers. “The craft brewing industry continues to create jobs in Ontario communities and the government’s ongoing support moves us closer to our goal of having a brewery in every city and town in the province.”
Thirty-two Ontario Craft Breweries poured 100 different Ontario Craft Beers for government members and staff guests, pairing their samples with delicious hors d’oeuvres made with Ontario ingredients supplied by Saffron Catering Company. The event was sponsored by Policy Concepts Inc.